19 December 2003

The end-of-year round-ups begin in earnest...couldn't help noticing Reynold's wish for a mid-80's revival next year. Set Fairlight's on stun, gate those snare drums - let's make it LOAD and ARTIFICIAL in '04. The New Plastic Sound, yes indeedy. I've been busy working in isolation on a number of tracks, stealing chunks of old '80s 12inchers that I've been finding for like, 50p a time in charity shops. Jackie Graham, Propaganda, Five Star, Mai Tai, Taylor Dayne, Nu Shooz, Joyce Simms, Bill Sharpe/Shakatak, Jam & Lewis Productions...all have been greedily sucked into my Emu sampler and twisted into new shapes. I've been doing this simply because I have to; whether these endeavours will see the light of day depends on the coming pop-climate and my ability to motivate myself to actually try and get people to listen to them. Who knows? - but it's been a fucking gas delving into the dark underbelly of mid-80's techno-dance-pop. Still haven't managed to pluck up the courage to spin that Starship extended mix that Aaron sent me a few months back, though.....