21 March 2004

Okay, so I've become an MP3 whore-thief. And de-objectifying my music collection feels pretty fucking good right now. I just reached the point recently where I suddenly realised that I don't want anymore CDs, vinyl etc. Sure, my appetite for new music remains undiminished, but having to own, store and maintain this collection of stuff is getting to be a bit of a drag. I already own more CDs than most other 'regular' people, and I'm damned if I'm gonna put up another fucking shelf when the current one fills up. The idea of non-corporal music storage sounds like just the ticket.

It's been fascinating to observe how iPod has been changing my listening habits. The ability to quickly scan through your collection by artist, album, composer or genre is truly liberating. Far more efficient than peering at endless CD spines, searching for inspiration. And the ability to quickly cue up 'playlists' is a revelation. It's like making yourself a new compilation tape every day. I know there's a lot of people out there, including some close friends, who find the whole concept horrifying. But try it first. Believe me, it's the future.

On the subject of peer-to-peer file-sharing, sure I'm guilty. I've done it before and I'm doing it again. In my defense I must state that so far I've been primarily involved with sharing out-of-print, hard to find music, that isn't currently generating any income for it's creators. This situation may change. No promises. Warp's 'Bleep' site seems like a good example of how labels can play the MP3 game whilst maintaining income. I'm becoming very attracted to that whole ideology. I can envision in maybe ten years time having almost no physical music collection at all, other than a few symbolic or sentimental items.

I've been procrastinating for long enough. It's time to take the plunge.....