18 May 2004

BLOG BROWSING...

Marcello:
"I look at Reynolds’ “feeling/really feeling” lists on Blissblog and they just give me a headache – Christ, MORE stuff to take into account; can musicians be forcibly banned from making or recording music for five years to give the rest of us a chance to get our breath back? "

Yeah, ain't it a bitch? To free up more head-space, I'm actually trying to reduce the amount of 'old' music I listen to, so I can spend the time more profitably listening to the LATEST, Bang!-up-the-minute shit I can lay my hands on. Avoiding buying re-issues and anthologies where possible (apart from Cabs/RH Kirk, of course!). I went through a phase where I was buying and trading LOADS of old shit, but NO MORE! One new Golden Rule is to not bother checking out anything else Pre-Punk. I reckon I've got about as much '60s and early-mid '70s stuff as I'm ever gonna need. To hell with the rest; it's all OLD NEWS, baby. True, there are a few gaps to fill in my post-punk knowledge and I am looking forward to the Metal Urbain and Factrix CD-Rs that are coming my way shortly. A few ravey/jungley things from the early '90s that I wanna track down too. But generally speaking, it's about focusing on the present and future. It's the only way to keep on top of things, or at least keep one's head above water...

Re: Marcello and Matt's general feeling that blogging sucks. C'mon, guys - lighten up! Maybe I just got into this blog thing with less expectations (zero expectations, actually) but I just think this is a fun thing to do. I believe the technical definition of a blog is 'online diary' and I'm just documenting all the random stuff that excites, annoys and fascinates me. The fact that other people read, appreciate and sometimes empathise still amazes me. It's great! Maybe I just don't get enough people slagging me off?