14 April 2007

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK...

Highroad returns for it's third outing next month, and Chris has pulled out all the stops to cram in as many of Bristol's top-brass producers as possible. Top of the pile is the mighty Pinch, fresh from blowing minds on Mary Anne Hobbs' Radio 1 show with his Techno Vs. Dubstep mix - if you missed the live broadcast, check it here. Mining similar creative veins are Peverelist and Appleblim, plus Headhunter and Jakes reppin' the H.E.N.C.H axis and a rare live outing from Gatekeeper. Spearheading the future sound of Grime we got Joker and Blazey. Not forgetting Delsa playing...whatever the hell it is he plays (I just realised that, even though I've known him for ages, I've never actually seen or heard a Delsa mix!). For some reason, known only to himself, Chris has offered me a spot too, and of course I jumped at the chance, having not played out since last July. Funnily enough, I've actually got two gigs in May...but more on the other one shortly. Anyway, this is gonna be a fucking mental soundclash...I think everyone's gonna be paired-up back-2-back style, which means I'll probably be jostling over the decks with Delsa for the first hour. All happening at Cosies on Portland Square, on Saturday the 12th, for the stupidly cheap price of two quid. Jesus, that little venue is gonna be heaving - make sure to get there early to avoid disappointment!

----------------------------

Watch out for issue 19 of Fact magazine (it's free!) featuring a couple of small reviews by Yours Truly - my first writing to be published on real paper (not counting the odd missive on the letters page of Melody Maker, Uncut, Mojo, etc...). It's not the first time I've been invited to write reviews for the inkies, but this was the first offer I felt comfortable with. Fact is a bit of a blogger's playground, with regular contributions from K-Punk, Simon Silverdollar and Kek-W (who seems to have a monopoly on the dubstep reviews) so I felt they'd be more sympathetic to my amateurish enthusiasm. Having been used to writing slightly rambling blog posts of unpredictable length, it was a challenge to condense my thoughts into just seventy words per review, like trying to compose a perfect miniature. Hopefully they'll let me do it again sometime. Actually, I've already been asked to write an album review for the online version. Watch that space...